Sunday, August 1, 2010

My on-line interview with THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS



My girlfriend one day out of the blue asked me if I have ever heard of "THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS" and I no I did not. She knows I love Hip Hop, and she knows I am very picky with my music, but she told me to look him up. I went on to Youtube and I found his video, his song "Good Time" was catchy as hell, and the video had me laughing. The video is pretty funny, but what got me the most was... it was all shot with in walking distance from my house!

I put in a friend request on facebook, and we have been chatting ever since. From what I can tell just by talking to him is he is one extremely dedicated individual with a goal. You can bet sooner or later THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS... will be a house hold name!

We begin...

KEEF - So how did you get the name "IdentityCrisis" and describe your sound.

The iDENTiTY CRiSiS- When I was first starting out, I really didn't know what category to file my music under. It was too urban to be rock, and too rock to be urban. And on top of that, I was sprinkling in other sounds, and refusing to fit into any one particular genre. The name "THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS" really represents my approach to making music, taking bits and pieces of different genres and decades; it's become my signature sound, blending things that might not belong together, but I try to make it work seamlessly.

KEEF-Your music is quite colorful and interesting, who were some of your influences?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS-My influences are all over the map. I particularly like artists that have unique sounds: the Police, Beck, Outkast, n.e.r.d., Black Eyed Peas, the Doors, Soundgarden, a Tribe Called Quest, Nirvana, Everlast, Incubus and the Wu-Tang Clan to name a handful. I could go on for hours!

KEEF- I was going to say your work reminds me of BECKS Mellow Gold and Odelay, not so much the sound but the versatility involved. Same with Everlast, I am a huge Everlast fan, his album WHITEY FORD SINGS THE BLUES was so popular with me and others. I think it was because he switched up the styles and was not afraid to go places other artist wouldn't dare... would you say your more of a risk taker that way?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS -Ya "Whitey Ford" and "Odelay" are two of my favourite albums of ALL TIME...to be mentioned in the same breath as those two artists/albums is flattering. I definitely would say that I'm a risk taker. That's part of my schtick as well...I do things my way, like it or not! I think it's definitely part of the reason why I haven't blown up yet!

KEEF - If your album had its own category in a record shop, what would you call the category?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS-I would probably call it "hybrid" or something along those lines.

KEEF - What artists have you worked with on your albums?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS - featured some amazing up and coming artists on past records: Kofi Kain (rapper/singer from Brampton), Ricky Tillo (current guitarist for Lady Gaga), Cess Rock (rapper/producer from Mississauga) and my sister Lolita (singer/rapper) I've got plans to feature some established names on my upcoming album (due out in November 2010) including Kyprios (of Sweatshop Union), and Dave Baksh (from Sum41, Brown Brigade), as well as a slew of other underground and established artists. Hopefully it all comes together.

Keef -That's amazing, I love "Sweatshop Union", you have to point me out to some of these people, great blog content. What about artist you would love to collaborate with?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS - My dream artists to work with would be Busta Rhymes, Dave Grohl, Bon Jovi, and Paul Anka! They say to dream big...

Keef- You mentioned your sister did some work with you, is your family into music?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS - Yes! I believe music is definitely genetic. My father was a guitarist, vocalist, and harmonica player. He actually left me his acoustic and his harmonica as heir looms when he passed away in 1988. My mother is a piano player and an alto vocalist. My sister is a singer/rapper/songwriter/piano player, and my step dad is a singer as well.

Keef - My dad is a drummer, I think he was hoping I would follow in his steps. I ended up buying turntables instead... it was very confusing for my parents. One thing about turntables was it got expensive, buying battle records, special needles, not to mention I was always "diggin in the crates" spending hours and lots of money on rare records. You financed your albums by yourself, was that a struggle?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS -Yes I financed, and continue to finance my albums and career all by myself. It's definitely an uphill battle, but it's kinda the way I want things to be. I enjoy having the creative control, with no boss. Ideally I would love to find a financer that believes in my product so much that I can continue to do things the way I want to, and not have to work a day job. But I'm blessed to be able to do what I do right now. And having financial problems definitely forces me to be extra creative with marketing, as well with the actual music itself.

Keef - Tell me more about the Mississauga Arts council. Can any one go to this to watch?

I saw this on your youtube page, it looked very entertaining.

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS - The Mississauga Arts Council is a network for all artists from all art-forms. They put on a monthly OPEN MIC night for performing artists, and anybody can perform/spectate. For more information check out mississaugaartscouncil.com

Keef - what does the Identity crisis have in store for 2011?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS - Hopefully in 2011, I'll still be doing what I'm doing. Season 4 of EQOTW, 4th solo album, and reaching more and more people with my brand of entertainment. I'd love to be doing this on a much larger scale!

Keef- I am pretty new to the whole iDENTiTY CRiSiS sound, I need to get all your stuff and have it signed!

I am going to say a few things, and you give me your first reactions...

KEEF- CANADIAN HIPHOP?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- big talent, small audience

KEEF- Facebook?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- Myspace's uglier, younger, annoying stepbrother.

KEEF- T-shirts?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- my obsession.

KEEF-THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- jack of all trades, master of some.

Keef- The best thing ever?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS - bacon and eggs, bowling, green tea, MMA, pro wrestling, hot girls that drunk dial.

Keef - The worst thing ever?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- ugly girls that drunk dial.

Keef- My music is?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- for open minded people.

Keef - DOPE... good stuff, this was fun... you got some shout outs?

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS- Bigups to Spazotron, keep doin your thang! Shoutouts to Kofi Kain, Ricky Tillo, Cess Rock, Miss Angie, Fee-nom, Rose, Ranko and Jax Photography, Monroe, and all my peeps that are hustlin to make it happen! And all my fans worldwide...you smell a little bit, but you all taste like bacon...I love bacon!whaddup to True Fantasy Clothing and DJ Richie Sweet, and my Cousin Kevin!

All right people... here are some links, be sure to check them all...

THE iDENTiTY CRiSiS links


VIDEO!







1 comment:

  1. yo this guys pretty dope!! great interview loko!
    PURO

    ReplyDelete