Saturday, October 2, 2010

Interview with illustrator Vince Chui

 Keef- please do tell us who you are, what you do and what you are involved in?
Vince Chui- my name is Vince Chui, I'm a illustrator. I used to strictly work in games. First starting off as a texture artist and then to concept work. Now I do a little bit of everything from games, commercial work, books etc. It's kind of fun to see what kind of opportunities that are there.

Keef- You worked in the gaming industry, what games were you involved in?

Vince Chui -I had worked on Cel Damage (a launch title for the first xbox), Full Auto, and Full auto 2(which wasn't really a sequal but added content. But marketing felt strongly in saying it was a "2"). I also had worked on Yoville (a facebook game).


Keef- When did you discover you had this incredible artistic talent, and what inspired you to draw?


Vince Chui- Well I wouldn't say I discovered I had "incredible artistic talent". More like, I always had fun drawing and I couldn't stop. I grew up with a lot of people who drew, and it kept me motivated and learning. I wasn't the best, but that didn't stop me from drawing. Other influences that kept me inspired besides friends and family.. I have to say big chunk goes to cartoons and comics. My cousins introduced me to comics (Gibert and Andrew) a huge shelf full in thier basement. I think those were my earliest inspirations that I can think of. And with Cartoons I can't think of any kid that doesn't have that being a big part of their life.


Keef- Explain your facination with Star Dragon and Mecca-godzilla?


Vince ChuiActually if we're strictly talking about Starvengers, Star Dragon is my third favorite. For those that don't know, Starvengers/Getta Robo G has 3 ships that can combine into three different robots, depending in the order they combine. I think compared to most fan's my favorites are in the reverse order. Star Posiedon being 1st, Star Arrow 2nd and Star Dragon 3rd.

As a kid Starvenger's is the whole reason I got robot crazy. There wasn't anything else I was exposed that did transforming robots or combining/gattai. This was pre transformers and pre Voltron (which I'm sure people will be more familiar with). I think the best part of the show was figuring out the heroes were going to match the villian robot. Would they attack with Star Poseidon, Arrow or Dragon... Suspence if they couldn't combine to form the robot. Producing Energy and the benefit of man kind. There's a lot of attributes I loved in that show. It's still pretty entertaining even for me to watch now.
Oh boy I can go on and on with Starvengers.

For Mecca-Godzilla, I can sum it up with "Reese's peanut butter cups". The best of both worlds, mecca Goddzilla represents a duality. Monster's and robots, Nature vs science.

Keef-Are you currently working on any new projects?

Vince Chui -I'm working on the second children's book, a sequal to Sir Seth Thistlewaithe. The rest of the time I'm helping with my friend on her project. My hands are pretty full until the end of the year right now.

Keef- Tell me about Sir Seth Thistlewaith, what is that all about?

Vince Chui -Two young Sir Seth and Sir Ollie of the Mighty Knights of Right & Honour. Their imagination takes them to the Kingdom of Thatwych where they have their first adventures. The kids are all decked out in cardboard, tinfoil and brooms.


Keef-Sometimes the popularity of A T.V. show or toy die out and they are shelved. Years later they are dusted off, they are repacked, remodeled and put out for a new generation to enjoy. What property would you love to have full creative control on?

Vince Chui Oh man there's too many I would love to work on.. Starvenger's/getter robo would be awesome. But really Go nagai is the only person to do it (but I think keeping it fun and pseudo retro style would be ideal). Actually if I had a hand to try something thats more obscure, that I never here anyone thinking of doing is Dinoriders. I never really watched the show, but I think the toys were great! (sigh didn't have any of the toys either).

Keef -What are some of your goals for 2011?

Vince ChuiGoals, I wold love to try a bit of the toy market if I could. I'd also like to be able to work on a children's book I've written and pitch that. I've had the story for sometime, and only recently found the style I would be happy to illustrate it in.

Thank you Vince, this was great your Art is absolutely amazing, I wish you nothing but successes!

Here are Vinces Links... enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment